Tuesday 6 November 2012

A month later...


I can't believe that the last time I wrote something here was a month ago! Could it be because my culture shock has been month long and has made me have a mental block? Or have I been so busy trying to be a strict time keeper (ever since missing the train) such that I have had no time to write? Or has the snow, which has been falling all over Trondheim, been falling on my head and made my head freeze? Or could be that the days are getting darker and my time of work has been becoming less and less now that am used to work as long as there is light in Kenya? Well could be all these together.
What to do with this snow outside my house
All in all it has been an exciting one month in Trondheim. Well, it has been an action packed month. What with a trip to the mountains, a speaking engagement, a mission week to Bergen, attending several dinners, travels in, around and out of town, seeing the kick off of seeker bible study groups, hanging out with my teammate and meeting and sharing with students! I mean life this last month has really been flying by at a fast pace.
The greatest change that I have had to cope with is the drastic weather changes. I never anticipated such kind of weather as I have experienced here. When we arrived here in Norway, it was late summer and the day began at around 5.30 am with some light outside the room. Then it was followed normally by a bright sunshine later in the day and finally a light afternoon rain perhaps once in a while and finally, the sun came back and went to rest maybe at 8 pm in the night. The sunlight would still be visible till around 10 pm in the night. I was told to enjoy such superb weather as it may be the best there could be this year.
Looking back, I wish I had heeded that advice! The days are getting darker and shorter. The sunlight is visible at around 7 am and it all but disappears by 4.30 pm in the afternoon. Now to make matters more difficult, the snow started falling two weeks ago meaning the temperatures were mostly below zero. I have never in my life experienced temperatures below 10°C let alone below zero!
In Bergen for the mission week
But best of all the friendships we have made make the Trondheim weather bearable. We have had a lovely time interacting with the students and staff and residents here. They have made home sickness bearable to by making us belong. Some have taught us how to cook while others have cooked for us and with us. They have taken time to show us around town and take us on trips and tours around town. They have invited us for dinners at their homes where lively conversations went on. Only yesterday, we went for a lovely Birthday party and tonight we are attending a special dinner in honor of our contact person Lars Olav who is leaving for Poland by the end of the year. My teammate Grace and I even have invitation to spend Christmas with the families of two of the students here. Such kind gestures have made the first month here exciting to say the least. And this is just the beginning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erico...its nice to read your blogg and see you are doing well. May God lead you in every step of this unforgettable, wonderful experience.

Evans.

Unknown said...

Thanks Evans and AMEN

Post a Comment